It's common for people to assume that they don't need to do anything to make sure their home is secure once they have a security system installed. However, even if you have the best home security system available installed, you need to maintain it to ensure it keeps working properly. Learn what you need to do to maintain your home's security system and other protective devices.
Home Perimeter Checks
Completing random perimeter checks on your home helps ensure your security system and any other security measures you've taken to protect your home are working correctly. To inspect your house, walk around your home
- Inspecting the locks on all of the doors and windows.
- Checking window and door frames to ensure they aren't broken or rotting — if you find any problems, fix them as soon as possible.
- Testing the sensors on your windows and doors that go to your security system — make sure they are properly placed, secure, and if they are wireless, have batteries that are holding a charge well.
- Checking your exterior lights to ensure they are working properly, and changing light bulbs if necessary.
- Inspecting any exterior cameras to ensure they are mounted and aimed correctly. You should also take a minute to check your monitors and recording equipment to make sure the cameras are picking up a clear image.
Testing the Control Panel
After you have a security system installed, you need to test the control panel occasionally to ensure it's working correctly. If the control panel isn't working right, it affects the way the entire system performs. To test your home security system, you need to follow the test-mode instructions you received when the system was installed. Just make sure that you call the company monitoring your home security first so that there's no confusion. Also, take a few minutes to inspect the control panel for loose wires or other signs of damage.
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
There is more to keeping your home safe than securing the outside perimeter of your house, which is why most home security systems have both inside and outside sensors. To make sure the inside of your home is safe, you need to check all of your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on a regular basis to make sure they are working properly and the batteries are charged.
Protecting your home is important. If you don't ensure the safety of your home, both your valuables and the health of your loved ones could be at risk. So, once you have a security system installed, take the time to make sure the system and other protective devices in your home are working properly.